In my opinion, the default Windows 10 font named Segoe is a refreshing choice for Microsoft when they shipped their latest operating system. Overall, it gives the UI of Windows a modern, clean look.
If you don’t want how the Segoe UI look, or want to try something entirely different for a change though, there’s a way to do that. The steps below involves saving, then saving changes to your computer’s registry. Once you’ve changed the font, it will be reflected in other aspects of Windows as well such as in its menus, icons, title bar text, File Explorer, etc. Just don’t use the Wingdings font as a replacement unless you want to make your machine unreadable.
Before we proceed to the main topic though, we would like to remind you that we accept requests for assistance regarding their Windows computers. If you have a problem that you can’t seem to find a solution to, send us your issue by following the link at the bottom of this page. Just remember, windows problems can sometimes be difficult to diagnose so kindly make sure that you give us very detailed description of the problem. You want to mention relevant history that may have led to the issue. The more information that you can provide, the higher the chance of us diagnosing the issue more efficiently. We also expect that you mention whatever troubleshooting step/s that you may have done before contacting us in order to prevent repeating them in our article. Again, the more details you can give us, the faster it is for us to pinpoint the cause and its corresponding solution.
Step 1: Create a backup of the registry
This is an important step in order to allow you to revert to the default settings if something goes wrong later, or if you don’t want to proceed with the modifications.
- Open the Run application window by pressing Windows key + R.
- Type in regedit, then hit Enter button.
- Click on File.
- Click on Export.
- Create a file name for this registry backup. Make sure to add an indicator that will allow you to remember when it was created like a combination of date or time.
Step 2: Create an updated registry
Once you’ve created a backup of the registry you then need to create an updated version of the registry by using a Notepad. To do that, open Notepad program and copy and paste the following into it:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
“Segoe UI (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Black (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Black Italic (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Historic (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Light (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Light Italic (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Semibold Italic (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Semilight (TrueType)”=””
“Segoe UI Semilight Italic (TrueType)”=””
Follow the rest of the steps below:
- Replace Verdana in the last line with the name of the font you want to use. If you are not sure of the exact name of the font, open Fonts folder by searching for “fonts” in the WIndows taskbar. Make sure that you use the full, correct name of the font.
- Once you’ve done that, click on the File tab in the Notepad app, then hit Save.
- Then, change the Save as type to All Files.
- In the File name field, give the file a .reg extension. The filename can be anything you wish. Just make sure that it ends with a .reg extension.
- Afterwards, click Save.
- Now that you’ve created a registry file, double click it to let it run. Once the computer prompts you if you want to confirm the changes, just confirm it.
- Restart the computer to allow the changes to take effect.
We are here to help
If you are having a problem with your Windows computer, don’t hesitate to let us know about it. We understand how frustrating computer problems can be so, more so if you can’t find the right solutions at all. Our blog exists to help PC users and Windows community deal with their problems effectively. To engage with us, just fill out the questionnaire in this link and wait for our articles to be published. In order to help as many people as possible, we only provide our solutions via posts so please don’t expect that we will respond to your emails or private messages. By making all posts public, we can share our solutions to other users in a more efficient manner. We cannot guarantee a quick response so if your issue is time sensitive, please find another way to resolve your problem.