The ‘error 0x004f074′ is an activation issue that many user are experiencing right now not only on Windows 8 but also during updating or upgrading to Windows 10 OS and still widely spreading. This issue occurs when the system is unable to locate the correct activation key or the OS is not originally purchased. In short, if you don’t have or unable to provide the original activation key, then activation error will occur. As long as you have the original Windows 10 OS, it’s an advantage and just a few tweaks in the system it can be fix.
This will be the topic that I will discuss and provide some steps on how to resolve it. All the steps are simplified for better understanding and to easily resolve the issue in the shortest time possible. Be advised that two similar issues are not guaranteed to have the same procedure and resolution. However, it is still best advised that if you know someone that has more knowledge about PC troubleshooting then you can you can let them take over. Otherwise, bring your PC/Laptop to the nearest service center or set appointment for technician to come to your house.
Before we jump into our troubleshooting, if you found this page because you were trying to find a solution to a different problem, then visit our Windows 10 troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common Windows 10 problems and errors. Try to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions and troubleshooting methods we suggested. If they don’t work for your or if you need further assistance, fill up our PC issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
Troubleshooting Win 10 Activation error 0x004f074
There are other similar error codes that is causing the same issue but, this one is the most common. Like I said, not two similar issues have the same resolution. To narrow down the issue, follow the recommended procedures below:
Step 1: Uninstall Existing Activation key
In this procedure, we need to reinsert the activation key on your OS. By doing this, you are refreshing the system and introducing the activation key just like the first time you enter it. Here’s how to do it:
- On the start screen of the Windows 10 device left click on the Desktop icon you have in that menu. To execute the commands successfully, make sure that command prompt has ‘administrative rights’.
- Click Start on the taskbar
- Click Command Prompt
- Type ‘slmgr.vbs /dlv’ then hit Enter key on the keyboard
- A dialog box will appear, click OK to confirm
- Type ‘slmgr.vbs /upk’ then hit Enter
- A confirmation box will appear if the procedure is successful.
Alternatively, you can follow these steps:
- When you opened the desktop you will need to left click on the start button and left click on the icon “Command Prompt” but be sure to open the one with administrative rights.
Note: To launch the Command prompt with administrative rights, you need to right click the icon and click “Run as Administrator” then click “OK” to confirm.
- Once the command prompt is launched, type “slmgr.vbs /upk’. After entering the command, press Enter to confirm
Step 2: Reactivate OS and enter Activation Key
In this procedure, you have to enter the activation key to activate your OS and make sure that you have written it or you have the original Installation Media.
- While on your start screen you need to press and hold the button “Windows” and the button “R” on the keyboard.
- A “Run” window should open and you need to write in there “Slui 3”
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- Write in the next window that appears your operating system product key.
- Left click or tap on the “Activate” button.
- Reboot the Windows 10 device.
- Check and see if you still have this issue.
Step 3: Activate via Microsoft Chat Support
This is one of the many features of Windows 10 OS for hassle free activation. To successfully use this feature you need to have an active internet connection on your PC to avoid some interruptions or problems. Here’s how to do it:
- Press ‘Windows key’ + ‘R’ on the keyboard
- Type ‘slui.exe4′ on the search box.
- A dialog box will appear that contains toll free numbers to call and installation ID. You can choose 1 installation ID out of 9 options and make sure to take note of it then click ‘Enter Confirmation ID’
- Go back to desktop and click Start button on the taskbar.
- Click All apps
- Click Contact Support
- Click Services & Apps
- Click Windows
- Click Setting up
- Click Chat online with a Microsoft Answer Tech
- A dialog box will appear that you are connecting to the server and waiting for an agent to assist you. Make sure that you have the original activation key prepared in case if the agent ask for it.
- You have to inform the agent that you are reactivating your OS to narrow down the transaction. Then wait for the agent to give you the new activation ID.
- Once you have the new activation ID, proceed and enter it.
- If the procedure is successful, let the agent know right away then you can close the chat.
Once it’s done, it is good to restart your PC and see if the issue still occurs.
Step 4: Visit a Tech
In case the issue still appears, we recommend to set an appointment with your local technician to see your PC and let them handle the issue or you might have to bring and visit the nearest service center.
Connect with us
We are always willing to help our readers fix the problems with their computer and so if you are currently experiencing an issue or two, do not hesitate to contact us and tell us about your experience. The solutions we provide will be based on the information you feed us. Make sure you include all necessary details and please fill up each field in our computer issues questionnaire accurately so we can give you more accurate solutions.