Google Chrome is a popular browser that can be used in almost any computing device. What people like about this browser is that it has a minimalist design and it works fast. Although this is a solid performing software there are instances when certain issues can occur. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle the Google Chrome an error occurred while checking for updates issue.
How to fix errors on Google Chrome when checking for update
Before performing any of the recommended troubleshooting steps listed below it’s best to restart your computer first. This action refreshes the operating system and remove any corrupt temporary data that could be causing the problem.
The first thing you should do in this case is to restart the Chrome browser. Click on the x mark on the upper right side to close the browser. To make sure that it is closed properly you can check if it is still running from the Task manager. If no instance of the browser is running then it is fully closed.
Wait for a few minutes then perform the following steps.
Posts you might like
- Open Google Chrome
- Go to the three vertical dots in the upper-right part of Chrome.
- Select Settings.
- Click on About Chrome
Check if the Chrome an error occurred while checking for updates error still occurs.
Make sure that the Google Update service is enabled
This service keeps your Google software up to date. If this service is disabled or stopped, your Google software will not be kept up to date.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- In the box, type “msconfig” and press Enter.
- Click on the Services tab.
- Find Google Update Services and make sure there is a check mark.
- Click on Apply and OK.
- Restart your PC.
Check if the browser can now be updated.
In case the above steps fails to fix the problem then you will need to uninstall then reinstall Chrome.
- On your computer, close all Chrome windows and tabs.
- Click the Start menu and then Settings.
- Click Apps.
- Under “Apps & features,” find and click Google Chrome.
- Click Uninstall.
- Confirm by clicking Uninstall.
- Download the installation file from https://www.google.com/chrome/.
- If prompted, click Run or Save.
- If you chose Save, double-click the download to start installing.
Try checking if the Google Chrome an error occurred while checking for updates issue still occurs.