A touchpad is an integral part of any laptop that allows a user to easily navigate the computer system. It can easily replace the mouse in this area as it can perform quite well. Some people however would still prefer to use the mouse and would rather disable the touchpad. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will show you some of the ways to disable touchpad in windows 10.
How To Disable Touchpad In Windows 10
There are several methods that you can do to disable the touchpad from your Windows 10 laptop. You can choose which one of these methods will suit you better.
Disable from Windows 10 settings
- Open the Start Menu.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Devices.
- In the left pane of the window, click on Touchpad.
- Locate the toggle switch right under Touchpad, and turn this toggle Off.
- Close the Settings window.
Disable ETD Control Center from running at startup
The ETD Control Center is an application that controls the touchpad. By disabling this from starting you won’t be able to use the touchpad of your laptop.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Startup tab of the Task Manager.
- Locate ETD Control Center in the list of programs that are configured to run when your computer boots up, and click on it to select it.
- Click on Disable.
Restart your computer. You will notice that this is one of the ways to disable touchpad in Windows 10.
Disable from the Device Manager
Another method that you can do is to disable the touchpad from the device manager.
- Right-click on the Start Menu button or press the Windows Logo key + X to open the WinX Menu.
- Click on Device Manager in the WinX Menu.
- Double-click on the Mouse and other pointing devices section to expand it
- Locate your computer’s touchpad, right-click on it, click on Disable and confirm the action in the resulting popup by clicking Yes.
- Close the Device Manager.
Disable using the Touchpad Blocker application
You can use a free software called the touchpad Blocker to disable touchpad in Windows 10.
- Go to the official Touchpad Blocker website and download the application.
- Navigate to where you downloaded the installer for the program, locate the installer and run it.
- Go through the installer and install Touchpad Blocker on your computer.
- Set Touchpad Blocker up and configure all of your preferences for the program.