A webcam allows you to make face to face communications online while using your Windows 10 computer. With most people working from home right now, it is an important accessory that allows you to interact with people in different locations. Sometimes though, you will want to make sure that your webcam isn’t active. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will show you how to disable webcam in windows 10.
Turn off webcam in Windows 10
Most of the laptops sold today will have a built-in camera that can be used for web communications. Users who are concerned over their privacy will usually disable webcam so as to prevent other people from spying on them. If your computer has malware in it and you notice your webcam activating on its own then here’s how to disable it.
Method 1: Disable the webcam from the Device Manager
The quickest way to do this is from the Device Manager as it will only need a few steps.
Time needed: 2 minutes.
Deactivate the webcam
- Right click on the Start button.
This is located on the lower left side of the screen.
- Click on Device Manager.
This is usually the fifth choice from the top.
- Click on the forward arrow just before Imaging devices.
This will expand the list of imaging devices connected to your computer.
- Right click on the camera name then select Disable device.
Method 2: Turn off the webcam for selected services
If you would only want to prevent certain applications installed in your computer from using the webcam then here’s how to do it.
Posts you might like
- Click on the Start button. This is located on the lower left side of the screen.
- Click on Settings. This will open the Settings window.
- Click on Privacy. This is usually the second to the last icon.
- Click on Camera. This is located on the left pane.
- Make sure the toggle switch for Allow apps to access your camera is on.
- Tap the slider to the off position for each app or service on the list to restrict their access to the camera.
After performing the steps listed above you will successfully disable webcam in Windows 10.
Having Issues with your computer? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’ll try to help.