When trying to play a Blu-Ray disc on your Windows 10 computer using the VLC app you will sometimes get the error “This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding”. One of the main causes that triggers this error message is that the disk is protected by AACS and BD+ technology. Another possible reason is a missing KeyDB.cfg file. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle the Blu-Ray disc needs a library for AACS decoding issue.
How To Fix This Blu-Ray Disc Needs A Library For AACS Decoding Issue
To fix this problem you will just need to add some library files to VLC to enable it to decode AACS.
- Go to this link: https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name
- Download the KeyDB.cfg file
- Go to the AACS Dynamic library then click on the link of the VLC version that you are using.
- Copy the KeyDB.cfg you your clipboard then use file explorer to navigate.
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box.
- Type “%APPDATA%\” and press Enter to open the hidden Appdata folder.
- Create a new folder (Right-click > New > Folder) and name it aacs
- Open the newly created aacs folder and paste the KEYDB.cfg file
- Navigate to your download folder and copy the libaacs.dll file to your clipboard.
- Use File Explorer to navigate to the install location of VLC and paste it there. The default location is C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC (64 bit) or C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC (32-bit).
- Open VLC and open the Blu-Ray disk that was previously failing with the “This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding”.
At this point the Blu-Ray Disc Needs A Library For AACS Decoding Issue will already be resolved.