Having issues with screen brightness not adjusting on your Windows 10 device? Don’t worry – this is a common problem with several potential solutions. Follow these top 5 methods to fix Windows 10 brightness not working issue:
1. Update Your Display Drivers
Outdated display drivers are a leading cause of brightness control issues in Windows 10. Update your GPU drivers to the latest version to resolve software-related brightness problems:
- Open Device Manager and expand the Display Adapters section
- Right-click your GPU and select Update Driver
- Choose Search Automatically for Drivers
- Restart your PC once the update is complete
If automatic driver update doesn’t work, visit your GPU manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver manually. Installing fresh drivers often fixes brightness control problems.
2. Adjust via Action Center
If keyboard shortcuts aren’t adjusting brightness, try using the brightness slider in Action Center instead:
- Open Action Center by clicking the notification icon in the taskbar
- Use the brightness slider to manually adjust up or down
- Click outside the Action Center to save changes
Action Center controls brightness at the system level, so try it if shortcut keys are not responding.
3. Check Graphics Card Software
Your GPU manufacturer’s control software (Nvidia Control Panel, Radeon Settings, etc.) includes brightness adjustment options. If system options aren’t working, change brightness through your graphics card’s software utility.
4. Toggle Adaptive Brightness
Adaptive Brightness automatically adjusts display brightness based on ambient lighting conditions. This can interfere with manual brightness control.
Disable Adaptive Brightness to restore full manual control:
- Go to Settings > System > Display
- Turn off the “Change brightness automatically when lighting changes” toggle
With Adaptive Brightness disabled, you can manually control brightness again.
5. Update Windows
Windows updates can sometimes cause brightness control issues. Ensure your Windows 10 is fully up to date:
- Open Settings and go to Update & Security
- Click Check for Updates
- Install any available updates
- Restart your PC after updating
Installing the latest updates will resolve any bugs that may be affecting brightness control.
Following these tips should get your screen brightness working again in Windows 10. Be sure to also check your monitor brightness settings, power plan, and display cable connections. Updating drivers and toggling Adaptive Brightness are two of the most common fixes for brightness problems.