CCeaner is a utility that can clean unwanted files and repair registry errors on your Windows 10 computer. You can download it for free to get the core features or you can purchase the premium version to get additional features. Although this is a solid performing software there are instances when certain issues can occur which we will be addressing today. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle the CCleaner not deleting Firefox history.
Fix CCleaner Isn’t Deleting Mozilla Firefox History
Before performing any of the recommended troubleshooting steps listed below it’s best to restart your computer and router first. This action refreshes the operating system and remove any corrupt temporary data that could be causing the problem.
Update CCleaner to the latest version
The first thing you will need to do in this case is to make sure that you are using the latest version of CCleaner. The updated version will have several performance improvements as well as bug fixes that could address this particular problem.
- Open the CCleaner app
- Click on the Check for updates… link at the lower right-hand corner of the CCleaner window.
- Your Internet browser will open and the CCleaner site will tell you if you have the latest version, or will give you a link to the latest update.
Once you are running the latest version try to check if the CCleaner doesn’t delete Firefox history issue still occurs.
Select Internet Cache option in CCleaner
To allow the software to delete the cached data of Firefox you will need to make sure that the Internet Cache option is selected.
- Start CCleaner.
- When CCleaner starts, go to the Cleaner section.
- Click the Applications tab and locate Firefox on the list. Make sure that Internet Cache option is checked.
- Run a scan.
Check if the can’t delete Firefox history issue still occurs.
You will usually be prompted to close any open browser before CCleaner can take any action on any active browser. If you don’t close the browser then no action will be done on it. Even if you have closed Firefox it might still be running in the background which is why the best way to terminate this process is by using the task manager.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- When Task Manager starts, go to the Processes tab and locate Firefox. Right click Firefox and choose End Task from the menu. Be sure to close all Firefox processes.
Check if the CCleaner not deleting Firefox history issue still occurs.
Delete cookies.sqlite and permissions.sqlite
The cookies.sqlite and permissions.sqlite files which are located in the Firefox profile folder have been known to interfere with how CCleaner works. You can try to delete this files to check if these are what’s causing the problem.
- Open Firefox.
- Click the Menu button in the top right corner and then click on question mark icon at the bottom
- Troubleshooting Information tab will now appear. Scroll down to the Application Basis section and click on the Open Folder button.
- Your Firefox profile folder will appear.
- On the Firefox profile folder, locate and delete cookies.sqlite and permissions.sqlite files. Make sure that Firefox is closed completely in order to delete those files.
Check if the issue still occurs.
Delete Firefox history using Firefox
If the above steps fails to fix the problem then you should just delete the cached data manually from the browser.
- Click the Menu button in the top right corner in Firefox. Choose History from the menu.
- Choose Clear Recent History from the menu
- From the Time range to clear menu choose Everything. Expand the Details section and select what type of data you wish to remove. After you’re done, click Clear Now to delete the data.