Avast is an antivirus software that protects your computer against any online threats. It has all of the core features needed to protect your system such as real time detection, web filtering, as well as analysis of unknown files. It has a user friendly interface that makes navigating its menu quite easy. Despite the fact that it is highly rated, there are times when you will want to uninstall this software. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will be showing you how to uninstall Avast in windows 10.
Why uninstall Avast?
One of the reasons that you will want to uninstall this antivirus software is because it might be interfering with another software that you are using. You might also just want to switch back to using Windows Security which is an excellent product.
Then there’s also the latest news where Avast has been caught selling harvesting browsing data and selling it to advertisers. The data harvested by the Avast antivirus software included Google searches, location lookups, visited URLs with precise time stamps, and in even specific searches made on certain websites. Although Avast claimed that individual users could not be identified from this data, still this can be reason enough for users to uninstall the product.
The best way to uninstall Avast from your computer
The most effective method to remove Avast from your computer is by removing it from the Apps section of the Windows 10 settings. Once you restart the computer the antivirus software will no longer be available to use. There will however be instances when certain traces of the software will still remain which is why you will need to download and install the Avast uninstall utility called Avastclear. This tool will effectively remove the remaining traces of the program from your Windows 10 computer.
Time Needed : 2 minutes
- Click on the Start button
- Click on Settings
- Click on Apps
- Click your version of Avast Antivirus then select uninstall.
- If prompted by the User Account Control dialog for permissions, click Yes.
- When the Avast Setup wizard appears, click Uninstall at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Yes to confirm the uninstallation of Avast Antivirus.
- Wait while setup removes Avast Antivirus from your PC.
- When the confirmation dialog appears, click Restart computer to complete the uninstallation.
Sometimes there will still be traces of the program left in your computer. Just to make sure it has been completely removed then you should proceed with the steps listed below.
- Go to https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.
- Download avastclear.exe on your desktop
- Start Windows in Safe Mode.
- Open the uninstall utility.
- Click REMOVE
- Restart your computer
Once the above steps have been performed you will uninstall Avast in Windows 10.
Having Issues with your computer? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’ll try to help.