The Windows 10 operating system is the latest version of Windows which was first released in 2015. It was made as a free upgrade to people who were running Windows 7 or Windows 8 on their computers. Although this is a solid performing operating system there are instances when certain issues can occur which we will be troubleshooting today. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will tackle the windows 10 high cpu disk usage by CompatTelRunner.exe issue.
How To Fix Windows 10 High CPU Disk Usage By CompatTelRunner.exe Issue
Before performing any of the recommended troubleshooting steps listed below it’s best to restart your computer first. This action refreshes the operating system and remove any corrupt temporary data that could be causing the problem.
The CompatTelRunner.exe file is a component of Microsoft Windows operating system which is used to perform system diagnostics to determine if there are any compatibility issues. This allows Microsoft to ensure compatibility when installing an update to your system. The process is not generally required for the Windows operating system to run properly and can be stopped if certain issues concerning it can occur. Listed below are the troubleshooting steps you need to do to fix this problem.
Since this file is not essential for the Windows operating system to run you can actually delete it.
- Type compatelrunner.exe in the search box
- Right-click on the file named compatelrunner and select Open file location from the dropdown menu
- Right-click the Compatelrunner.exe file and select Properties from the menu.
- Select the Security tab and click on the Advanced button.
- Go to the Owner tab then select Change Owner.
- Select the account you are using then hit on Apply.
- Right-click the Compatelrunner.exe file again.
- Open Properties then go to the Security tab and click Advanced again.
- Select Permissions
- Select the account you are using.
- At the top, under the Allow column, select Full Control and click Apply.
- You can now delete the CompatTelRunner.exe file.
Check if the Windows 10 high cpu disk usage by CompatTelRunner.exe issue still occurs.
A quick way to fix this problem is to disable the CompatTelRunner.exe from the task manager.
- Press the Windows Key and Press R. Type taskschd.msc and Click OK.
- Expand Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Application Experience
- Right click on any of the tasks listed as Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and choose Disable.
Check if the Windows 10 high CPU disk usage by CompatTelRunner.exe issue still occurs.