The programs that you have installed in your Windows 10 computer will always use the CPU. Your Windows 10 operating system will usually decide how to use the CPU cores on a specific program that is running. This is actually great since you don’t have to manually assign which CPU cores to use for a specific program.
What if you would like to dedicate a specific core for a certain program? This is called Processor Affinity or CPU Pinning. Dedicating a core or cores to a specific app or thread is quite advantageous if you are running a heavy application as it will reduce cache problems. Take note that the program cannot take advantage of the other cores which will have affect on load balancing.
How To Set Affinity In Windows 10
- Right-click on the taskbar.
- Click on the Task Manager option.
- In the Task Manager, switch to the Details tab. It will show a list of running programs.
- Right-click on the program for which you want to set process affinity.
- Choose Set affinity from the menu.
- It will open the Processor affinity window.
- Choose which core the process can use, and deselect the rest of them
- Click OK to complete the task.
Engage with us
Feel free to send us your questions, suggestions and problems you’ve encountered while using your computer. We support every computing device that is available in the market today. And don’t worry, we won’t charge you a single penny for your questions. Contact us using this form. We read every message we receive but can’t guarantee a quick response. If we were able to help you, please help us spread the word by sharing our posts with your friends.