How to Change Language in League of Legends? League of Legends is played globally by millions of players across different regions and languages. While the game defaults to the language based on your server location, it is possible to change the display language in the client and in-game. Here is a guide on how to change language in League of Legends to your preferred option.
Table of Contents
Change Client Language
The easiest language to change is the Riot client language which affects the menus, tabs, options, etc.
To change client language:
- Open the League of Legends client and logout completely
- Click on the profile icon in the top right and go to Settings
- Under “Riot Client Language”, select your desired language
- The client will now display in the chosen language
This allows navigating the client menus much easier in a familiar language. Note that it does not affect in-game text and VO.
Change In-Game Language
Changing the in-game language for chat, text, VO requires modifying a configuration file:
- Close the League client and navigate to:
- C:/Riot Games/League of Legends/Config
- Open the “LeagueClientSettings.yaml” file in Notepad
- Find the “locale” line and change the code after it to your language
- For example, “en_GB” for British English
- Save the file and launch League again
This will now change all in-game text, chat, and voiceover to the chosen language. Be sure to use the correct locale code for your desired language.
The following are the locale codes for languages supported in League of Legends:
- English: en_US, en_GB, en_AU
- Spanish: es_ES, es_MX
- Portuguese: pt_BR
- French: fr_FR
- German: de_DE
- Italian: it_IT
- Polish: pl_PL
- Turkish: tr_TR
- Russian: ru_RU
- Korean: ko_KR
- Japanese: ja_JP
- Chinese (Simplified): zh_CN
- Chinese (Traditional): zh_TW
Use the appropriate two-letter code when changing locale in the config file.
- Changes only affect text display, not server/matchmaking
- Some languages limited to specific regions
- Editing files is not officially supported by Riot
- Results may vary or break with future patches
While this process allows modifying display language, your underlying region and server will remain the same for matchmaking purposes. Also, certain languages are restricted only to their specific regions by Riot. Finally, editing game files is not officially condoned by Riot and could potentially lead to issues down the line.
Change Region Completely
The only way to fully change to another region in League, including server and matchmaking, is to utilize Riot’s paid region transfer service. This allows migrating your entire account to a new region:
- Login to League and open the Store
- Go to Account > Region Transfers
- Select your target region and follow the prompts
However, this is a paid service that completely moves your account. Use it as a last resort if display language changes do not suffice.
League of Legends provides options to change the display language through client settings or modifying game files. While limitations exist, this allows customizing text and VO to your preference. Refer to the locale codes chart and follow the instructions to switch languages in League of Legends.
How to Change League of Legends Language FAQ
Can I change in-game language without editing files manually?
Unfortunately no, there is no in-game option to change languages. You have to directly edit the “LeagueClientSettings.yaml” file.
Will changing language settings affect my ping or server?
No, modifying display languages alone does not affect your actual region or server. Only a full region transfer would change servers.
Is there a way to have English text but another language voiceover?
Not directly. The text and voiceover languages are tied together. You’d have to modify the locale files directly.
What happens if I use a locale code the game does not support?
Using an invalid or unsupported locale code may cause text display issues or prevent the game from launching.
Can I get banned for changing League of Legends language manually?
Unlikely, as it does not provide any gameplay advantage. But proceed at your own risk, as file modifications are not officially endorsed.