Jitsi Meet is a free and open source video conferencing solution that everyone can use even without an account. It doesn’t need any special software to download as it runs well on a browser making it easy to set up. Although this is a solid performing platform there are instances when certain issues can occur. In this latest installment of our troubleshooting series we will show you how to fix the Jitsi Meet no audio problem.
Jitsi Meet no sound during video call
One issue that you might experience with Jitsi Meet in windows 10 is that you might not hear a sound during a video call. This can be caused by various factors which we will try to determine by following the troubleshooting steps listed below.
- Restart your computer.
- Make sure to use an updated browser.
- Make sure to install the latest Windows 10 update.
- Make sure other programs on your computer aren’t using your speakers or microphone.
Method 1: Check the speaker and microphone setting in Jitsi Meet
The first thing you will need to do is to make sure that you are using the correct speaker and microphone for Jitsi Meet.
Time needed: 3 minutes.
Jitsi Meet Audio Settings
- Click on More.
This is the three vertical dots on the lower right side of the active video call window.
- Click on Settings.
This will open the Settings window.
- Click on the Devices tab.
This is the first tab on top of the Settings window.
- Choose the correct microphone.
This can be done from the Microphone drop down box.
- Choose the correct speaker.
This can be done from the Audio output drop down box.
- Click on test sound.
This will play a test tone to check if the selected speaker is working.
Method 2: Check the browser microphone permissions
One factor that can cause this problem is that Jitsi Meet is not given permission to use the microphone. You will need to change this from the browser settings. Listed below are the steps you need to do when using Google Chrome.
- Open the Google Chrome browser. You can do this by clicking on its icon from the Start menu list of applications.
- Click on More. This is the three vertical dots on the upper right side of the browser.
- Click on Settings. This will open the Settings window.
- Click on Privacy and security. This can be found at the left pane.
- Click on Site Settings. This can be found at the right pane.
- Click on Microphone. This can be found on the right pane.
- Click on the forward arrow located after Jitsi Meet. This will open the permission settings.
- Make sure that Allow is chosen on the Microphone drop down box. This gives Hangouts permission to use the Microphone.
Method 3: Run the Windows 10 audio troubleshooter
Windows 10 has a useful tool that can fix most of the common audio related problems. Try using this to fix the problem.
- Click on Start.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Click on Troubleshoot. This can be found on the left pane.
- Click on Playing Audio then “Run the troubleshooter”. Follow the on-screen instructions to fix the problem.
After performing the steps listed above you will successfully fix the Jitsi Meet no audio problem.
Having Issues with your computer? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’ll try to help.